Monday 18 November 2013

Mod isn't a high street style, its a Subculture style

I'm not going to focus on vintage and original clothing, this is going to be for the people who like Mod and 60s style who can't afford to always spend money at vintage shops as we all know most of them are well over priced! Though charity shops are always good to have a rummage around, you might end up finding something great.

The Mod look mainly focuses on looking smart; always clean, ironed clothes and polished shoes. I know a lot of people wear uniforms at work (I do) but a lot of people still like other people to know they are Mod even in a uniform, I don't care about that to be honest I wear what ever is comfortable at work. People wouldn't know to look at me that I like Mod style while I'm at work the only thing that gives it away is my badges on my lanyard. I don't want to put you off or encourage you to try the Mod style but if you were thinking about going down that route then this is the easiest way to do it and then you can branch out into the vintage obsession. Right lets get started then...

Outerwear
It doesn't have to be a Parka, there's no Mod law saying you've got to wear a parka. I prefer to wear Trench coats, other jackets and coats that are popular are; Harrington, Duffle or a suit jacket. The smarter the better really, I really like the way suit jackets fit but I can never find one with a nice enough pattern or colour. Pin Strips are popular (which I personally prefer) I also really like grey and blue jackets (blue and red goes well).

Bottoms
For us girls, skirts are worn more in this scene or tailored trousers. Pencil skirts being the best choice, they make woman look great! In a pencil skirt a guy cant take their eyes off you, makes waist, arse and legs look lovely and that's what you want from a skirt all three boxes to be ticked. Don't just stick to plain black, you've got dog tooth, strips, poka dots and branch out in colour too. It is winter so most shops sell similar colours but if you can find a red or a nice blue go for it, with pencil skirts try to stick to zipped or button ones steer clear of body con ones as Mod isn't high street style its a subculture style. I find tailored trousers hard to find as they never fit my waist if you wanted some really nice individual ones your best off getting someone to make you a pair at least then no one else is going to have them, same with the skirt to.

Shoes
A lot of Mods don't wear boots (but I do) so we will steer clear of them, don't want to blur the lines. Most popular shoes are Loafers and Brogues, you can get some lovely shoes in both styles in Office but I know a lot of people who use a Mod shoe website they have gorgeous shoes on there (I will link the website at the end). Make sure you keep your shoes nice they are going to cost a lot but they are so worth it!

Tops
I must say I'm a fan of T-shirts I have a lot of band related ones, mainly from gigs so I want to wear them as they cost me a lot of money £20/£30 for a T-shirt isn't cheap but I also like to look smart. Polo's and Button down shirts is the smarter tops to wear, they don't HAVE to be Fred Perry or Ben Sherman. You can buy polo's and shirts from cheaper places that fit well, I do recommend having at least one 'lable' top you can wear out to a restaurant or pub but its really not a must have.

Suits
Personally I don't think people should wear black suits as a Mod style because you look like your going to a funeral, a black suit jacket with different colour trousers is fine. Different colour suits are popular on the scene (blue and grey) pin strips look great, wearing jackets with different trousers look good too but use your sense of style make sure the colours still go don't go wearing grey and brown!

Accessories
Girls, I know Mods who wear white tights and knee high socks and look great but I don't think they look good on me so with this part your going to have to make that judgement your self. I mean if your 30 I'm going to say don't wear them, if your in the 16-20 bracket do it! Bags are my main thing, I love bags, going out bags I like little hand bags that clip shut (usually vintage) they look very cute. Work/college bags, if you have a lot of stuff bowling bags are the best as you can put a lot in them.
Guys, Chuff links, tie pins and broaches. If your going out and about for a night then you need to get suited and booted which for you includes a bit of jewellery. Minimal is the best thing don't go out looking like a rapper with gold chains hanging everywhere, a ring, watch, bracelet, chuff links and tie pins are enough to make the outfit pop. Chuff links and tie pins try to get them to match the same with rings and bracelets.    

I think that is it for all the help I can give you for the Mod style, I would advise that Mod is a complete package not just the clothes so if you truly want to go down that road then I can recommend a website that might help you get into it http://www.themodgeneration.com/forum (they have forum so you can put up questions and style issues and someone will try and help you out)
http://www.modculture.co.uk/ (this is the best website of general Mod related news, I use this one all the time)

Websites
http://www.modshoes.co.uk/
http://www.modwear.co.uk/

My friends showing you all how its done, both wearing great outfits

An example of the kind of T-shirts you can wear, If you don't fancy a shirt

This example is more for the bag, great shoulder bag

Me wearing a Button Down Shirt




















No comments:

Post a Comment