Wednesday 2 April 2014

Interview - Emma Rosa Dias 'Afro Mic Productions'

I'm excited for you all to read this interview, sorry it's been so long since I've done one it took me a while to find someone who I really wanted to interview and as soon as Emma agreed to do so it was perfect! The creator of 'Faces In The Crowd' a documentary about Mods of today and the sole trader of Afro Mic Productions, the perfect person to admire and aspire to be Emma Rosa Dias.



Emma, would you class your self as a Mod or would you say your a lover of the Mod scene?
No, I am not a Mod and yes I am a lover of the Mod scene. I've been lucky with this journey as it has touched my life in a very endearing and positive way that it is here to stay.

I noticed your a producer at Afro Mic Productions, is this your own company?
Yes, I'm a sole trader under the name Afro-Mic Productions. I use different talented freelance film crew.



How did Afro Mic Productions come about?
I've worked in TV production for over 13 years now. Both in front of the camera and behind. For the last 6 years I was mostly producing TV ads. It was time to go out on my own and do the things I'm most passionate about. It's daunting and very hard work but I've made the right decision. The name came about because I have Afro hair and I'm often carrying a microphone, simple really!

I've previously interviewed Scarlett Baylis who I understand is in your Mod documentary Faces In The Crowd, What was the inspiration behind doing a film like this?
I witnessed different subcultures from childhood at the record shop my mum managed. Music and fashion was always a major influence growing up. I experienced my first Mod night (Afterglow) last year when I was asked to interview Eddie Piller for a Belfast City campaign. I was simply blown away by the atmosphere and camaraderie. It was that night I decided I was going to look further into the scene. First at home at the Bangor Weekender then Glasgow and London. This London film is a tad bit different because it's not all based at one event. It was shot over a longer period at many different locations.

 


What was your favourite thing about doing this film?
Meeting everyone, hearing their different stories and of course the music, dancing and fashion. It's a way of life.

Would you say Quadrophenia has massively influenced the scene?
Yes it has for some and equally not for others.

 


Do you have anything else in the pipe line film wise?
Yes if I sell enough DVDs, downloads and get some sponsorship! I hope to make 2/3 more 30 minute documentaries on the worldwide Mod scene. Europe or Japan could possibly be next.

What would be your advice to people who are looking to get into film production?
Just do it and be prepared to work very hard! If you are passionate enough about it, it will work. Make mistakes and learn from them. Listen to people with experience and sometimes that is not always the older ones. Young fresh creative talent are not scared of big ideas, I'm always learning!


I would just like to say a big thanks to Emma Rosa Dias for taking time to answer my questions for this interview. Hope you all enjoyed it!!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment