Sunday 27 April 2014

Best British Frontmen

I'm a big fan of British bands and while watching a few live videos on youtube I was thinking to myself, who's my favourite British Frontman. Well putting these in order of favourite is going to be very hard but I am going to try my best, I'm sure I will change it multiple times before I publish the final one.
What do you look for in a Frontman?? Vocal? Sexiness? Fashion? Character?

1. David Bowie



Bowie is the king of personas, with every album is another character; Ziggy Star Dust, Thin White Duke, etc. David has everything a frontman needs, especially when through out most of his career no one was sure of his sexual orientation and therefore was desirable to both male and females.  With his great vocals, raw sexuality, fabulous fashion that was constantly being re invented  and fantastic on stage character with both the audience, his band and backing dancers.




2. Roger Daltrey



Frontman of The Who, his in my top five because he is one of the only Frontmen who convey someone else's songs with such perfection. Pete Townsend has always said that he could never sing his own songs the way Roger sings them for him, I think he is one of the most emotional singers out there. Though he may not always hit every note to perfection the pure emotion he puts into his performance makes up for that. Roger has the whole package and more with, great vocal, pure sexiness (I mean that body and its still pretty good today!), the tough boy fashion and a always smiling character.




3. Mick Jagger



Being the Frontman of The Rolling Stones needs a lot of energy and Mick Jagger certainly has that, with his Little Richard like stage performance and constant dancing makes for great watching. His vocal can sometimes be a bit off but that doesn't stop you enjoying the fantastic performance he gives, even now in his 70s his still has it! A lot women have fallen at his feet and after his film Performance I'm sure that was still the case maybe even more so, after seeing his more artistic side. After all these years, his fashion has been a bit up and down but most of the time his nailed it. Younger Jagger with the all in ones and his even younger self with jumpers and suits were probably his best fashion moments. Jagger comes across as a fabulous character both on and off the stage.



4. Robert Plant


The lungs of Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant has the best vocal of all the Frontmen I've chosen with an incredible vocal range he can mesmerise you with just that. Being a Frontman and having great vocal isn't enough but luckily he ticks all the boxes, with all that hair, a constant open shirt and the tightest jeans ever seen, its almost like his having a who's sexier fight with Roger Daltrey! The Rock n Roll fashion is all there too and he comes across as a very generous and a bit of a quiet character, sometimes being sweet is better than being loud and in this case I think its true.



5. Freddie Mercury



I really nearly forgot to put Freddie into my list, I mean how could I have forgotten him!! With a fantastic vocal and maybe the more unusual of all the Frontmen, he still has everything you want. The perfect body (look at that picture) he looks like a ballerina, fashion for the time was good looking back at it now maybe not as good as some of the other Frontmen but we can let him off. His character was fantastic, Freddie owned the stage when he was on it, all eyes were on him.



6. John Lennon & Paul McCartney



Being part of a group where both of you sing and write as much as each other means that the band like The Beatles doesn't have one Frontman but two. John and Paul both bring great talent to the table and I think together they made The Beatles without each I don't think the band would have been anything like the band we know and love today. Both cheeky chaps with a great sense of humour, which makes their characters so attractive. With thousands of girls screaming their names and wetting themselves over their presents means that they had sexiness down as well, while to look at them you would say they were both attractive but maybe not sexy (I'm still going to include it). John and Paul in the early years had great fashion sense with their suits and jumpers combo and even as they got older they still had the hippy look down too.

 

7. Roger Waters & David Gilmore

 
Another double entry with Waters and Gilmore from Pink Floyd,  both have great vocal and writing talent sharing this kind of talent proves difficult for shared Frontmen like these and John and Paul. I would say Roger probably has the most attractiveness to fan's of the band and David is the more quiet one. Fashion wise they both wear casual clothes in later performances but at the beginning it was more of a hippy look which the whole band contributed to. Roger and David both share a lot of character and that's why most of the time sharing the lime light is difficult if you both have a lot of personality you tend to clash.



8. Morrissey


The lead singer of The Smiths has great stage presents, with a hint of colour and flowers always hanging around. His a superb writer all his songs are written perfectly (My favourite is Asleep), his character may sometimes come across as a bit stuck up and mean but I don't think his really like it might just be part of his showmanship. With great fashion style (considering its the 80s), a lovely voice almost like his reciting poetry.



9. Richard Ashcroft


The singer of The Verve and now a solo singer Richard Ashcroft has great vocal, as a big part of Brit Pop Richard has great fashion style always seems to be wearing a leather jacket and sun glasses. He was a pretty big pin up boy due in the 90s with his cute innocent look, he always comes across as a nice person not cocky like Liam Gallagher. 

  

10. Tim Booth

 
 
Tim Booth is the Frontman for the band James, the confident singer has been part of James since the early 80s, what makes him the perfect Frontman for me is he does the most hypnotising dancing called tantric dance. This is where he looks like his having a fit but he says it gives him a better high than being on drugs, he also has a fabulous voice. I must admit I don't admire his fashion style, it could be improved but I guess that isn't everything as long as the voice and the stage persona is good that's all that matters.  


These are my top 10 British Frontmen, I'm sure I've missed out loads of singers but unfortunately I cant fit them all into my top 10. This took me so long to finish so I hope you like it, leave your comments on who your favourite Frontman is.  

 


 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 






1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit of a Muse fan myself. I love Matt Bellamy (for several reasons).
    Good list though!

    ReplyDelete