Wednesday 11 December 2013

Subculture's Mod: Interview with young Mod Scarlett

I did say that the next interview was going to be Northern Soul Dancer but I just got a reply for my Mod interview, so we shall start with this one first. This interview comes from 15 year old Mod Scarlett, she has recently featured in a documentary about Mods called 'Faces in the Crowd' directed by Emma-Rosa Dias due out in the new year so keep your eyes open for it!

Scarlett chilling on her dads scooter

How did you get into the Mod scene?
Through my Dad, he is a mod and I grew up with the music and gradually began to like it.

What is your favourite thing about being a Mod?
It's cool, you're always looking sharp, and you get noticed a LOT more when you don't blend in with the crowd.

Who are your biggest influences for your style?
Mainly old 60s- 80s photographs, they inspire me to pair certain items together. Seeing what they wore and how they wore it originally is how I interpret the scene best. Twiggy was my first hair influence and I eventually adapted it to my own.



Are you a vintage shopper or a high street shopper?
I'm Both! Love proper vintage but then items from the high street can look great depending on how you wear it.

What's your favourite type of music to listen to?
Sixties Rhythm and blues, soul, and at the moment I'm beginning to like the mod revivalist bands, such as Beggar and Small Hours

Who are your most adored bands/artists?
First band I got into were The Small Faces, some of their early unknown songs are absolute crackers! (favourite is 'Baby don't you do it' -the best ever!)



Do you own a scooter?
Unfortunately no, I'm too young, but my dad has a gorgeous 1961 Lambretta Li

Would you say everyone should try the Mod scene?
I think if everyone tried it, it wouldn't be as special, but if they want to then it's the best subculture to choose.

How would people go about looking into becoming a Mod? Are there websites/forums you can suggest?
I found forums such as The Mod Generation didn't really help me being a young mod, but books like A-Z of Mod, and Mods! really educated me properly into doing it the right way.

Scarlett and the Faces in the Crowd's film crew
 

If you could choose one item of clothing and one record to take to a party with you, what would it be?
My black mac and my 45 of 'Come on now' by the Kinks. the mac is essential and the record is such a tune!

How did you get to be in the documentary 'Faces in the Crowd'?
This producer, Emma- rosa Dias contacted me after Stacie Stewart told her about me, because I'm so young they did a feature on me and I got meet Eddie Piller.

Scarlett with Emma Rosa Dias and Eddie Piller

Thanks to Scarlett for agreeing to do this interview, hopefully she will inspire some younger people to join the Mod scene. I look forward to seeing her in the documentary as well as a lot of other people you may recognise from the scene, a big thanks to Emma Rosa Dias for doing a Mod documentary its long over due!

No comments:

Post a Comment