Friday 27 December 2013

Subculture's Mod: Alysha Stirling

After Scarlett's interview being such a hit I thought I would interview another Mod girl who I think influences a lot of young girls with her style and grace. As I follow Alysha on social media sites I always see her dressed smart and looking good, wither she's going to work or college. So luckily for me she agreed to do a short interview for this blog, lets get started!
 
How did you get into the mod scene Alysha?
I first got into the mod scene around about a year ago. I've always loved the sixties. I looked at pictures and saw how mod girls would dress. I had a few style disasters at first but I got there in the end!
 
What's your favourite thing about being a Mod?
I love being a mod because I feel different, smart and confident. I don't feel as though I blend in. My boyfriend is also a mod, I'm lucky to have him! It's lovely to have a relationship with someone who loves exactly the same things as you.


Who are your biggest influences for your style?
I mainly get outfit ideas and inspirations from old photographs from the 60s. I think they're the biggest influences!

Are you a vintage shopper or a high street shopper?
I'm a bit of both, I like to rummage around vintage & charity shops to see what I can find. I love the idea of wearing something that no one else has. Most of my skirts are vintage but I love Fred Perry and H&M too.


What's your favourite type of music to listen to?
I love Britpop, Northern Soul, Rhythm and Blues and old 60s rock n roll such as The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Kinks and I love the small faces!

Who are your most adored bands/artists?
I would probably say Oasis are one of my favourite bands, I grew up listening to them. The Who, Small Faces and Northern Soul is high up on the list!


Where would you say the best place to find other mods to talk to?
I haven't had much experience at Northern soul dos, but when I've been I've always met lovely mods! Twitter and Instagram is full of both young and old mods too.

If you could take one item of clothing and one record with you to a party, what would it be? My one item of clothing would be my vintage fur coat and my record would be 'Whatcha Gonna Do About It?' by the Small Faces.

Alysha down the Quadrophenia alley

What are your favourite events to attend?
I love going to gigs and also Northern Soul nights, although I haven't had much experience of them but I've loved it whenever I've gone! I also love going shopping in Brighton, I'd love to go to the Mod Weekender one year

What are your top 5 wardrobe essentials?
A pencil skirt, a roll neck or polo, loafers, tights and my trusty Art Gallery Clothing bag

Your bee hive is pretty legendary!! how long does it take you to do & how did you learn to do it?
It only takes me about 10-15 minutes to do my beehive, my hair is quite long but thin so back combing alone doesn't hold. I back comb the top and grip a hair donut to the back of my head, then I smooth my hair over, grip and hairspray! I know it's cheating a bit, but it ends up wonky otherwise.

Thank you to Alysha Stirling for doing the interview and I hope you all enjoyed it!

Alysha & her close friend Stacie Stewart

 

No comments:

Post a Comment